Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'm so Tired (Gen 2:2)

Last year I noticed a trend among the homeschooling parents that I knew- Everyone was tired. Once I became aware of it, it seemed like our every conversation was based on how exhausted we all were. As I meditated on this, God in His efficiency had my pastor preach on this verse: Gen 2:2 “On the seventh day, having finished his task, God rested from all his work.” NLT

As he taught it was clear to me, we were tired because we had no rest. I spend my Saturdays catching up on the cleaning that didn’t happen during the week and my Sundays lesson planning and grading papers. There are days during the week when I’m moving from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. Other moms I know spend Saturdays shuttling children to little league and Sundays in the nursery. I suppose we homeschoolers don’t have the market on being busy, but I know that it causes problems.

This school year I encourage you to take time to rest. Be selfish, curl up on the couch with that book you’ve been meaning to read or watch your favorite show. Make time with friends. I’ve found that the world won’t end if the bed doesn’t get made and it’s not bad to tell my son to play by himself for awhile.

This verse doesn’t say that God was tired and needed to rest. He is God after all. He rested as an example for us. He created all things to need rest. Remember to pencil yours in this year.

No comments: