Friday, December 31, 2010

Joy in Adversity (Psalm 16 Devotion)

I've been having a little trouble with my pregnancy. I've been to labor and delivery twice to regulate my blood pressure, and I've been going to the doctor weekly for over a month now. There they monitor not only me, but also Garner. The last three appointments, he's failed the initial non-stress test necessitating a special ultrasound called a biophysical profile (BPP). Thankfully, he's passed the BPP each time. At the moment all is well with both of us, but I'm worrying. When I check my blood pressure, I worry, "Is this the time it skyrockets and won't come down?" When I go in for appointments, I worry that this is the time Garner won't pass the BPP. For the last few days, I've been stressed, waiting for the other shoe to drop. As I was praying in the car this morning, God reminded me that peace is found in His word. It's a shame He had to remind me of that! I didn't go to any special scripture. I just picked up where I'd been reading. It happened to be Psalm 16.

In verse 9, David says "No wonder my heart is filled with joy, and my mouth shouts His praises!" David was a man overcome with all kinds of troubles. Before he took the throne, he was hunted and forced into hiding. After becoming king, he dealt with wars, and a myriad of family issues among other things. So I pondered how he could be filled with joy and shout praises. Verse 9 begins with two important words, "No wonder." These words imply that something in the passage prior to verse 9 explains David's state of being.

I'm type A, and I love it when things are clearly defined. Psalm 16 could be an instruction manual for having joy and peace in adversity.

Step 1: Know the Lord. "I said to the Lord, 'You are my Master!'" (verse 2) You can't have true peace until you are submitted to the One who brings it.

Step 2: Hang out with the right people. "The godly people in the land are my true heroes! I take pleasure in them!" (verse 3) It's no secret that the company you keep affects your mood and behavior. Your momma taught you that when you were young! Seek out fellow believers for fellowship.

Step 3: Stop doing bad things. "I will not take part in their sacrifices or even speak the names of their gods." (verse 4) What activites fill the majority of your time? Do they turn your mind to godly thoughts or away?

Step 4: Be thankful. "The land you have given me is a pleasant land. What a wonderful inheritance!" (verse 6) Thank the Lord for all you have before asking for all the stuff you think you need.

Step 5: Spend time in prayer and in the Word. "I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me." (verse 7) This is the one that slammed me. Between the holidays and stressing out, I hadn't been in the Word, and most of my prayers had been about my problems. David says, "even at night." He wasn't saying, "I put in my fifteen minutes this morning, I'm good." Meditating on God's scripture was an all day event for him.

After all these things, he concludes in verse 9, "NO WONDER my heart is filled with joy, and my mouth shouts His praises." I'm not surprised David was shouting either. Hopefully, I will doing the same thing over the next month while I wait for Garner to arrive.

Text is from New Living Translation.

No comments: