Thursday, March 8, 2012

Earthly Praise

Recently, I stole lunch meat from Wal-Mart. I didn't mean to; it was an accident. The next day, I went back to the store in order to pay for the pilfered ham and turkey. I grabbed a couple of packages from the shelf and took them to the customer service desk where I explained the situation to the clerk. She rang it up, I paid, and left.

As I walked to my car, I felt a little dejected. It was weird. There wasn't any reason to feel that way, but I did. As I thought about it, I realized that I was bothered because the clerk in the store hadn't thanked me. I had gone into Wal-Mart feeling pretty good about my honesty, and I wanted acknowledgement for my forthrightness. "How many people would bother to pay for two lousy packages of Oscar Meyer? Not many," I thought. "Why didn't she say something? I made a special trip to repay them. I'm not expecting a customer-of-the-month award, but a pat on the back would be nice."

That's about the time I felt a nudge from the Holy Spirit. "Is that why you do what's right?" He seemed to say.

Of course, I was convicted. I wanted earthly praise for a heavenly act. It's in my nature to want praise; I'm a words of affirmation kind of girl. I hoard compliments like misers hoard gold. But who's praise should I really be seeking? When I seek earthly praise, it is no different than seeking earthly riches; neither one has any eternal impact (Matt 6:19-21).

That clerk could have thought I'd done a good thing. She could have thanked me, but how does her praise matter? There is only one who will judge me according to my deeds (I Pet 1:17). Ultimately, the only praise I need to hear is "Well done, my good and faithful servant." (Matt 25:21)

Where will you find your praise--on earth or in Heaven?

No comments: