Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fruit of the Spirit: Fruit Basket (Lesson Plan grades 5-12)

Materials:


Bible
Copy of Prayer “Fruit Basket”

Prep:

(optional) Make a worksheet using the prayer “Fruit Basket” as a model. Type out the opening phrases and leave the second half blank for your child to fill in. For example:

Lord, please give me Love when ________________________________. Continue for each fruit of the Spirit and include the closing line.



Lesson:

1) Have your student read Galatians 5:22-23.

2) Discuss the areas in his life where he struggles with each fruit—love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, tenderness, and self-control.

3) Ask, “What does Fruit of the Spirit mean?” Answer: They are gifts given by the Holy Spirit.

4) Ask, “Why do we need these gifts?” Answer: Apart from God these things are difficult to accomplish in our lives.

5) Show him the prayer “Fruit Basket.”

6) Tell him to use it as a model to write his own prayer. Refer back to his answers in #2 and have him complete the prayer using those areas where he struggles. (If you made a worksheet, give to him to fill out.)


Fruit Basket


Lord, please give me Love when my brother breaks my CD.

Lord, please give me Joy when I’m picked on at school.

Lord, please give me Peace when my parents are fighting.

Lord, please give me Patience when my best friend forgets to call . . . again.

Lord, please give me Kindness when a new kid comes to class.

Lord, please give me Goodness when I’m in a bad mood.

Lord, please give me Faithfulness when others reject You.

Lord, please give me Tenderness when my Grandma is sick.

Lord, please give me Self-Control when my friends have none.

Lord, please give me these things because I don’t have them on my own.

No comments: