Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Perfect Imperfections (devotions)

I sang with the choir at my church for the first time this past Sunday. I know that sounds pretty ordinary, but it was a huge deal for me. Ever since childhood, I’ve been horribly insecure about my voice. However, I love to sing and praise the Lord. It brings me joy and I’ve been told by others that watching me brings them joy also. So I decided to join the choir. I was terrified Sunday morning certain that I would get off key and everyone singing would be furious with me. Of course, the choir sounded great and no one was mad. I had a fabulous time praising God and ministering to the congregation. To think I’d missed out on that blessing for years because I was worried I wasn’t a perfect singer.


I think we believers miss out on opportunities to serve God and others because of our insecurities. We miss out on sharing our faith because we feel we don’t know enough about God. We turn down leading a Bible study because we feel our past sins disqualify us. We avoid comforting the sick because we feel we don’t know what to say.

This is not a modern problem. Moses was afraid of public speaking. “But Moses pleaded with the Lord, ‘O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.’” (Exodus 4:10) Gideon said, “But Lord, how can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!” (Judges 6:15) The great apostle Paul said, “that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.” (1 Timothy 1:15) Despite their shortcomings, God used all these men in mighty ways—just as he can use you.

My friend Jeanne Karst has a business remaking old furniture. She calls it “Perfect Imperfections.” I think it’s an excellent description of us as believers. We are imperfect people made perfect through Christ. 2 Corinthians says that God’s strength is evident in our weakness. We’re not supposed to be perfect. We’re just supposed to be available and God will do the rest.

Don’t let your insecurities keep you from serving God and ministering to his people. If you do that, you’ll miss out on all the wonderful blessings he has in store for you.

No comments: