Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lessons from Acts: Don't Assume (devotion)

I started out in college as a pre-med major. Somewhere in my sophomore year, it dawned on me I planned on being a stay-at-home mom and that goal didn’t exactly coincide with pre-med. Why spend all that time and money on a career I intended to quit? I prayed about what to major in—speech pathology, science education, drama? I strongly felt the Lord telling me to proceed with science education. I knew it was what He wanted me to do. Imagine my surprise when my first year of teaching was horrible. God had called me to teach. Why was it so bad? I decided the problem was public school and I would be happier in a private Christian school. I wasn’t. Different issues, same misery. I was both relieved and confused when I felt God telling me to quit after two years. I wondered if I misheard in college or if I was mishearing about quitting. I actually heard correctly both times.


In college, I made the same mistakes the apostles made in Acts 1:15-26. Jesus had just ascended. The apostles and other disciples were hanging out waiting on the Holy Spirit. Peter gives a speech stating that they needed to select another apostle to replace Judas. Peter said they needed to choose someone who had been with them from Jesus’ baptism through His ascension. “For one of these must become a witness with us of his {Jesus} resurrection.” (vs 22) They chose two men, Barsabas and Matthias, prayed, and cast lots as to who would be the next apostle.

“24 Then they prayed, ‘Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.’ 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.” Casting lots was a tradition going far back into the Old Testament. It would be similar to flipping a coin today. According to scripture, God determined the outcome. Proverbs 16:33 “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.” Based on scriptural evidence, we must conclude that God determined Matthias as apostle. However, Matthias never did anything we know of. He isn’t mentioned again in scripture. The one God intended to replace Judas came later, and he was someone the apostles never would have imagined—Saul.

What happened? God gave them an interim answer, a “this is good enough for now” answer. Why? Because that’s all they would hear. From the beginning, the apostles made assumptions. They set the parameters for the great apostle search. In verses 22 and 23, they state that the new guy should have been with them from the beginning. They didn’t ask God what His guidelines for the next apostle were. Saul, a hardened Pharisee, certainly didn’t enter into their criteria. When they did ask God his opinion, it was limited between two options. They didn’t inquire, “Who is the best man for this job?” Had they asked that question, God might have said, “I’ve got the guy, but it’ll be a while yet. Be patient.” However because they made assumptions and limited the options, the Lord gave them an interim answer instead of the best answer.

The same thing happened with me in college. I made assumptions of career paths based on what credits I had already earned and based on my interests. I also gave God limited options. I ultimately wasn’t satisfied with teaching because it wasn’t God’s lifelong plan for me. Motherhood was God’s best for me. Are you operating on interim answers? Seek God fully, without assumptions, and find out what His best is for you.

No comments: